Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Diablo Cody Saddened by Bobcat Goldthwait's New Movie

Screenwriter Diablo Cody gets a lot of flak for being Diablo Cody, but a funny thing about the Oscar winner: she's actually kinda awesome and -- thanks to the backlash to her 'Juno' backlash -- not really as mainstream as her critics would have you believe. She wrote underrated gems like 'Jennifer's Body' and the television series 'The United States of Tara'! She hosts and produces the underrated web series Red Band Trailer! Isn't she actually... underrated? Not according to Bobcat Goldthwait, who apparently uses his new film -- the Toronto International Film Festival premiere 'God Bless America' -- to take down Cody along with other pop culture mainstays like 'Jersey Shore' and the Kardashian family. Wait, what? Cody herself was flummoxed by the conflation, taking to her blog to elaborate. I've been sad because I heard Bobcat Goldthwait (who is actually a really talented writer/director) brought a movie to Toronto that rips on everything stupid about American pop culture; namely, reality TV, Idol, Kardashians and...me? I don't even consider myself a part of "pop culture" these days. I'm a screenwriter with a hit-or-miss career. I don't really go out to events. I don't have a million Twitter followers or a massive fandom (In fact, I seem to have a much larger and more vocal "un-fandom," if you know what I'm saying.) I would think that to pollute pop culture to such a degree that it warrants being eviscerated in a movie, one would need to be, you know, powerful. Visible. Ubiquitous. I'm none of those things and I haven't been in a while. Maybe this movie has been on the shelf? Hope so, but I doubt it. I ordinarily shake these things off, but it sucks extra hard when the criticism comes from someone you admire. Shakes the Clown is an excellent movie. Plus, I always assumed Goldthwait and I were kindred spirits- we both have silly aggro fake names, and we've both spent our careers (his long, mine short) trying to transcend the gimmicks we're known for. Dear Bobcat: Juno is my "growly voice." Let me evolve, as you have evolved. Cody's words return to the screen later this year in the Jason Reitman-directed 'Young Adult' with star Charlize Theron. 'God Bless America' will hit theaters in limited release and on VOD next year. [Honest to Blr via indieWIRE/The Playlist] Photo: Kevin Winter/Getty Images

Watch Transformers 3 Dark Of The Moon Megavideo

No comments:

Post a Comment